Sorry for the late posting. This weekend was my anniversary weekend and I spent it exploring a little known gem in my state; Bethlehem, PA which is just perfect for the season. I thought I’d do something a little different this time and post an article that didn’t get published in one of my favorite kids’ magazines, Guardian Angel Kids . This month’s issue was all about angels. The issue is worth a look see, but for whatever reason my article on Guardian Angels was not included and since I put a lot of work into research, I thought: why not include it in my blog. When rejected, publish yourself: Here it is:
A scene from Bethlehem, PA Do you have a guardian angel?
By Shari L Klase
A guardian angel is defined as “A spirit that is believed to watch over and protect a person or place.”
So, do you have a guardian angel? Well, many people believe that you do. This belief comes from all kinds of people, religions and the Bible. Matthew 18:10 in the New Living Translation says “Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.” That sounds like God has assigned an angel to you.
Even Saint Thomas Aquinas said, “From the very moment of birth, man has an angel guardian appointed to him.”
If it is true, as so many believe, that you have a guardian angel, what does your guardian angel do for you? Well, here are some things lots of people believe they do:
1. As the name suggests, they are your life time guardians. From the moment of birth to the end of our lives, they stay with us. Even the ancient Greeks believed in this creed that spirit beings guarded their descendants.
2. Angels protect you. Ancient Mesopotamians looked to guardian spirit beings to help protect them from evil. Even the Koran says “For each person there are angels in front of him and behind him, who guard him by Allah’s command.”
3. Angels pray for you. It is included in the Catholic Church catechism and Buddhist philosophy that angels listen to people’s prayers and join in with the people who pray.
4. They guide you. In Exodus 32:24 God tells Moses, “My angel will go before you.” and Psalm 91:11 says “God will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.”
5. Angels help you when you’re in need. In Acts chapter 12 an angel helped the Apostle Peter to escape from prison. And in Genesis 19, angels helped Lot and his family escape from Sodom before it was destroyed.
Do we have guardian angels? A lot of people believe we do and many find comfort in the fact that angels are watching over us. When you go to sleep tonight, think about this wonderful prayer.
“Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, thy angels watch me through the night, and keep me safe til morning’s light.”